Organ Renovation Project
CUMC Organ Dedication Events
Community United Methodist Church of Coeur d’Alene, Idaho invites the community to attend dedicatory events celebrating the installation of their renovated historic pipe organ. A Dedication Recital will be held on Sunday, November 11, 2018 at 2:00 p.m. The organ will be dedicated to the glory of God in the 9:00 a.m. Traditional Worship Service earlier the same day. The church is located at 1470 West Hanley Avenue in Coeur d’Alene and is fully handicapped assessible. Off-street parking is available.
Performers will include Cynthia Marlette and Mark Haberman, organists for the church. Byrl Cinnamon, a former organist, will join Marlette and Haberman for the afternoon Dedicatory Recital. Additionally, for the recital, two commissioned works will be featured, including an anthem that will be performed by the church’s Chancel Choir under the direction of Bill Jaquette. Sheila Schindler, soprano saxophonist, will join Marlette on one composition.
The historic organ was installed in the congregation’s previous building, located at 7thand Wallace, in 1908 and included 640 individual pipes. It was rebuilt and enlarged to 1,267 pipes in 1978. When the congregation built their new facility in 1994, the organ was reinstalled in that setting. The 2018 renovation, by Marceau & Associates of Seattle, Washington, afforded an opportunity to further enhance the instrument’s flexibility and tonal palette by increasing its size to 1,581 pipes.
At its July, 2015 meeting, the CUMC Church Council approved moving forward with the Organ Renovation Project as proposed by Marceau Pipe Organ Builders, Inc. of Seattle, Washington, pending the securing of financial commitments necessary to underwrite the contract cost of $119,950 plus associated expenses. The Organ Renovation Team is grateful for the support of the council in moving forward, insuring that our 107 year-old pipe organ will continue to bless our community and congregation for decades to come.
Early in the planning of this project, the goal of full congregational participation was set, recognizing that while not all CUMC households will have the ability to make large contributions to this project, a primary value will be that of each household making a gift as their financial resources will allow and their hearts are inspired to share.
The Organ Renovation Team has chosen the fourth stanza of Fred Pratt Green’s hymn “When In Our Music God Is Glorified” as a foundation to inspire our sharing:
Let every instrument be tuned for praise!
Let all rejoice who have a voice to raise!
And may God give us faith to sing always
An Organ Renovation Fund account has been set up within the church office and contributions may be made at any time. Please direct your check to the church office, noting “Organ Renovation Fund” in the Memo portion of the check. Your donation will be used exclusively for this project.
Organ Renovation Team Members include: Mark Haberman, Cynthia Marlette, Pastor Heather Seman, John Townsend, Connie Walters, Vic Walters, Dr. Bob West, Tom Scott and Val Wilcox
The original organ at our former church facility (7th and Wallace in Coeur d’Alene) was installed in 1909 by the Estey Organ Company of Brattleboro, Vermont. Approximately half of the organ’s current pipework and portions of the current mechanism date to this original instrument.
In 1978 the current organ console, brand new at the time, was put into service, replacing the original 1909 console. Additional pipework was added to enhance the organ’s ability to effectively lead congregational singing and to provide expanded resources to support the playing of other service music (preludes, offertories and postludes). The console, pipes and additional mechanism was provided by the Moller Organ Company of Hagerstown, MD and the work was done by Harold Curryer of Spokane. The sanctuary chancel at our Seventh and Wallace location was modified significantly by church members to create greater flexibility for worship in all its forms.
Several years of planning in the late 80s/early 90s resulted in our congregation’s decision to relocate from its downtown location at Seventh and Wallace to the northwest part of Coeur d’Alene. Increasing concerns about our previous facility’s condition and accessibility to the disabled and aged as well as opportunities for expanded ministry resulted the decision to build an all new church facility. The northwest part of Coeur d’Alene was selected because it was projected to be an area of sustained growth of new housing stock and the resulting influx of a growing population. A regional programmatic church was envisioned.
Early on, plans were made to incorporate our pipe organ into the new facility’s design. On the first Sunday in October 1994 (World Communion Sunday), the congregation celebrated worship in the downtown location for the last time. Under the direction of Meadway and Stettner Pipe Organs of western Washington, the pipe organ was dismantled, with the assistance of church members and friends, and put into storage. The congregation worshiped in the school auditorium at the (then) brand new Lake City High School during construction of our new building. It was a joyful experience to observe the construction progress weekly as we attended worship services across the street! Our organ was re-installed in the Celebration Hall of our new facility in the midst of the building’s construction and was joyfully put into service as we worshiped for the first time in our new location on the first Sunday of March 1995.
The PDF below outlines all the details of the project and the timeline associated with it. Work is scheduled to begin in January, 2016.
The list of stops currently on the organ and proposed changes are listed below.
If you would like to make a donation to the organ renovation fund, please click on the button below. This will take you to the Paypal website where you can indicate the amount you would like to donate.Thank you!
Marceau & Associates Pipe Organ Builders…
…began its life as a small tuning and maintenance company in 1980. The service route started out in Portland, but has since expanded to include the Willamette Valley, central and eastern Oregon, the Seattle metropolitan area, central and eastern Washington, Idaho, Montana and Alaska.
They maintain about 200 pipe organs, and this number continues to grow. These pipe organs constitute a wide variety of builders and styles, and this experience has been invaluable in the design and construction of their own instruments.
In the Fall of 1985, they were contacted to build a significant three manual and pedal pipe organ for a church in Portland, Oregon. Negotiations resulted in their first organ building contract for St. Michael’s Lutheran Church. There is a significant difference between general tuning and maintenance and the building of pipe organs. In order to accomplish this, they found shop space to handle all of the construction and assembly aspects of organ building, and have been able to employ additional staff. The varied skills and experience of workers in the shop allow for simple to highly complex projects to be undertaken with good results. They have completed over twenty-five major projects through Opus XXIX, with Opus XXXI now underway for St. Therese’s of Anchorage, Alaska.
While it is difficult to state one’s philosophy on organ building in a brief statement, their goal is to build an instrument that will faithfully serve the needs of the Church, and be a source of inspiration for those who are moved by its music and visual relationship to the room.
René A. Marceau – President/Tonal Director
Sean M. Haley – Associate
Tom Krisinski – Cabinet and Woodwork Manager